The Village of Marymount History Through the Years

1920s
Superior General Mother Mary Felicia Jaskulski called upon Mother Clara Bialkowski to purchase land and construct a Provincial Motherhouse in the Cleveland Diocese. Mother Clara found and purchased 25.75 acres of land in what would become Garfield Heights. In 1926, The Rev. Joseph Schrembs, D.D., Bishop of Cleveland, offered the first Mass in the convent chapel of St. Joseph Convent and Academy (named after the first congregational home in Stevens Point, Wis.). Later that year, Bishop Schrembs dedicated St. Joseph Convent and Academy. St. Joseph Academy was given accreditation for its four-year curriculum by Catholic University in Washington, D.C., and began with an enrollment of eight students.

1930s
In 1931, Society of Slovenian Priests of the Diocese of Cleveland gifted the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis (SSJ-TOSF) with a bell, which was blessed by Bishop Schrembs. The 500-pound bell, "Joseph," was placed in the cupola of the convent building and it was rung three times daily in honor of St. Joseph and the Blessed Virgin Mary. In 1939, the Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa, a new addition to the campus, was dedicated and St. Joseph Academy was renamed Marymount High School.

1940s
Between 1945 and 1948, 14 acres of land was purchased adjacent to the Marymount Congregational Home. The cornerstone for Marymount Hospital was placed in 1948.

1950s
Ten (10) acres of additional land was purchased in 1951. Construction was completed on a new Marymount High School building in 1957. The school moved from the convent into the new building that had room to accommodate more young women.

1970s
With the age of the congregation increasing, ground was broken in 1970 for a new wing adjacent to the north wall of the convent. Construction of a 28-bed nursing care facility, named Clare Hall in honor of Mother Mary Clara, began in 1972. A year later, Marymount High School became coeducational and changes its name to Trinity High School. In 1977, groundbreaking commenced for a handicap-accessible chapel in Clare Hall.

1980s
Marymount Place, an assisted living facility, opens. Later that year Marymount Hospital added a mobile magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) unit to enhance the diagnostic capabilities of its radiology department. The hospital opened a Center For Sleep Disorders in 1989.

1990s
Marymount Hospital opened a cardiac catheterization laboratory in 1990. The Marymount Child Care Center opened in 1991 in the Congregational Home, and in 1995 Marymount Hospital becomes the first community hospital to become a member of the Cleveland Clinic Health System. Two other events highlighted the decade: the opening of the Franciscan Center in the convent in 1996 and Siena Prints in 1997.

2000s
Marymount Hospital opened its Critical Care Tower in 2007, the same year Villa St. Joseph opened with a skilled nursing and memory care center.

2010s
The Village at Marymount opened the Parker Hannifin Foundation Therapy and Wellness Center in 2012. Marymount Hospital opened its new Surgery Center in 2013.

Back to Top button